Chris Pearce, CV
Engineering, Product and Design 0-1 Generalist
I am a forward-thinking individual, passionate about all areas of product development, who, having always had a seat somewhere between tech, product and design, is confident taking ideas from concept through design iteration to final execution and deployment.
I have a wide range of experience developing websites and applications of all scales and on varying platforms and enjoy being actively involved in all areas of their production. I have led various product and platform teams ensuring optimal delivery of results which meet company goals and are sustainable.
I pride myself with my passion and continue to learn, research and innovate while focusing on the task at hand and keeping business & ux goals in mind. I enjoy sharing this passion and taking an active role in guiding and helping others. I do my best to focus on teaching and promotion of standardisation across the various organisations I have been involved with.
I have over 12 years experience working across companies of all sizes.
- Five AI: Visualisation Team Lead, Technical Product Manager for Simulation, Infrastructure Team Lead, Product Lead AV Assurance & Testing
- Kalo: Lead Frontend Engineer, Developer Experience & Infrastructure Team Lead
- Moo: Frontend Engineer
- HealthUnlocked: Lead Frontend Engineer
- Blitz Games Studios: Lead Web Tools Engineer
- Freelance: Web Developer and Designer (CityDeskSport, Atlas Hockey, CrowdControlHQ)
- Inormas Media: Designer
Zero to One
- Led greenfield architecture and delivery of new SaaS products focusing on tight feedback loops to aid future development cycle
- Implemented a Crew/Cohort structure in fast-growing startup
- Hired and integrated new design function at pivoting product company
- Rapidly hired and oversaw delivery of critical visualisation project from zero in three months
- Introduced product discovery capability and incubated several key capabilities feeding into core product
- Rapid prototyping of new mobile app for social network
Management & Leadership
- Held director level product role reporting regularly into exec
- Managed team of ten engineers, turning around pulse survey scores in key areas
- Led effort in collaboration with teams to define working principles and processes to work more effectively
- Drove internal team engagement and transparency through regular company-wide update strategy
- Championed and integrated goal driven development approach to several teams
- Ran workshops with users to understand what problems they faced
- Developed roadmap with engineering and setup fortnightly delivery cycle with product reviews
- Developed early product vision, winning first enterprise customer
- Managed product strategy across six product teams each with product owners
- Architected and oversaw delivery of several web-based products - both greenfield and brownfield
- Led frontend rewrite of largest social network for health improving conversion and SEO ranking
- Identified, implemented and owned several critical utility libraries and frameworks (Data Management, Declarative Forms, Design Systems, Graph Editors, State Machines)
- Key stakeholders and leader in defining engineering principles and standards
- Key influencer and proponent in introduction of type systems and data-driven design approaches
- Mentored other engineers
- Collaborated closely with designers to deliver company-wide design system
- Designed and implemented early SaaS product
- Owned prototype design through engineering roles
- Spoken at several tech conferences and meetups - sharing experience and knowledge or pushing new ideas (Frontend London, React Europe, React London)
- Several well-received blog posts (CSS Modules, Exploring focus in React, Just write components)
- Several open source libraries and contributions (react-hotkeys, recon, babel-plugin-transform-react-binding, react)
Ben Peters, VP Product, Five AI
Chris is a unique talent; excelling as a developer, as a product manager and as a product designer. He brought his skills to bear for us at Five in all three areas, bringing some of these functions from zero to one, building out the processes and the team as he went.
There's a jibe often levelled at product managers that when they leave engineering to become product managers, the average capability in both teams goes up. This was never more true than in Chris's case, but purely because of the focus he brought to those engineering teams by stepping up to run Product for them. Chris helped his teams understand the customers they were building for and the user experience that would engage them. He lead on developing solid product discovery processes and brought his colleagues along with him. When teams were on-fire, he figured out how to have them collaborate better and how to manage demanding stakeholders.
If you can hire him, you should.
Peter Johnston, CEO, Kalo
Chris is a machine - I would rehire him in a second. He not only has the ability to get things done and shipped incredibly efficiently, he does so while considering the bigger picture. Chris is incredibly versatile too, I was always confident he would think like a product person, not just an engineer.
I couldn't recommend him higher. He built Kalo's platform to what it is today.
Adam Neilson, CTO, HealthUnlocked
Rarely have I come across such a talented front-end dev as Chris. He's phenomenally good at making complex projects look simple and difficult schedules achievable with an unparalleled command of his domain.
Definitely a welcome member of my dream team to conquer the World!
Jaime Agudo, Developer, HealthUnlocked
You can definitely rely on him to lead the development.